Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Whisky Log

(from Emma Levy)

This dessert is another Danielle Levy masterpiece, and I actually don't have words for how divine it is.  Now that I think about it, it's possible I was underage when I was eating it.  What I remember best about it (it's been a long time in between tastings) is that I would get a cake fork and take just a minute amount, because it was SO rich - and this is when I was young, when really nothing is too rich, so who knows what trying it in one's mid-forties would be like!!  It was one of the dinner party regulars - how I miss the dinner party days.  My parents threw a lot of dinner parties and I would sit at the top of the stairs in my pjs, instead of being asleep in bed, listening to the chatter and the laughter, wishing I could go down there and be with them....  This is not a recipe you'll use as an everyday one, but give it a go as a special treat.  You won't regret it!

Ingredients
1 packet Wine Biscuits (plain sweet biscuit)
120 g Butter (softened)
1 Egg
1 cup Icing Sugar
½ cup Whisky

Icing
180 g Icing Sugar
1 Tbsp Cocoa
120 g Butter (softened)
1 tsp Coffee


Directions
1.    Cream butter and icing sugar.
2.    Add egg, crushed biscuits, and whisky.
3.    Mix well.
4.    Put in fridge for 1 hour to firm a little.
5.    Shape into a log on grease-proof paper and roll it in the paper.
6.    Chill the log in the fridge for 4-6 hours.
7.    Mix icing ingredients.
8.    Once log is firm, unwrap from paper and ice with icing. 

This log is best served chilled.

A photo of my mum, not sure at what age, but when I first saw 
it I thought it was me - now that was a weird experience!!

6 comments:

  1. yep, that photo definitely looks like you.
    I also remember the dinner party days, especially because my Mum used to make a mini version of the dessert in a small dish just for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes, the dinner party days...my sisters and i once sneeked back into the lounge whilst the adults were in the dining room and replaced all dads friends cigarellos with pretzel sticks! I especially remeber the fondue evenings. xxJude

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need a fondue recipe!!! I'll try to get Auntie Carole's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This photo reminds me of my Mum's Ginger Log. Very rich. Very special occasion. I'll see if my brother knows how to make it.
    And yes, that photo DOES look like you. Wow!

    ReplyDelete